Saturday, July 25, 2009

10k Number Three

Today I ran my third 10k race... my fifth race over all. If you had told me two years ago that the Summer of 2009 would be filled with running races, I'd have thought you were crazy.

At any rate, I've been enjoying myself. The race I did today is apparently the toughest 10k in the area. On the website it tells you how it is a race filled with hills, and it also informs you that you will not get a personal record on this race (how's that for intimidating?).

Getting there an hour early, I had plenty of time to people watch. At first, I felt like the chubbiest girl here. Women showed up in tank tops and short shorts with unreal tans, thinner than maybe they should have been. Men were jogging around, working up a sweat. Now, I ask myself, WHY would you run before a race? To warm up? I happen to think that's what the first five minutes of a race is for... but I won't be winning any races, so what do I know? Eventually, more "real" people showed up, making me feel more normal.

I have noticed a direct correlation between the length of shorts and the ability of the runner. The shorter the shorts, the better the runner. I wore mid-length capris.

The weather called for rain and possible thunder storms. It was clear until they told us to go to the starting line. That's when it started to rain, and it didn't stop until after everyone had completed the race. The good thing was that I didn't feel too hot during the race.

As we began the race, runner after runner passed me. I'm ok with that - I seem to always be in the last 1/4 of runners. The hills were very difficult, though not as difficult as The Hardest Race of All Time (I ran a race in Vancouver, Canada, that was literally 2/3 uphill and 1/3 downhill. Hardest. Race. Ever.). I managed to run up most of the hills today, though I did walk up a couple.

At about mile 2, I noticed a girl turned around, walking back. She must have decided these hills were too awful to do 4 more miles of. I felt bad for her, but hills really are awful.

There comes a point in every race where I ask myself what on earth I am doing. I think about how I could just stop at the curb and sit down, or lay down, even, and nobody would care. I wouldn't fail Gym class if I stopped. I also think about how I could cut through someone's yard, or through the parking lot... not to have a better time, but so that I can stop. Enter the coolest guys at the race.

There was a group of about four men, all wearing the same shirt. A maroon shirt, that, on the back said: "Finish the course. 2 Timothy 4:7" Awesome. What great encouragement!

At close to mile 5, I strongly consider walking the rest of the way. I had my iPod on with my Nike Plus, and calculated that if I ran the last 2 km at 7 minutes per km, that I would beat my best time, and indeed get a personal record. Instead, I seemed determined to sabotage myself, and took a walk break, and then slowly loped across the finish line. Unfortunately, I did not break my personal record. The official results are yet to be posted, but I think I was about one minute slower than The Hardest Race of All Time.

I have run five races now, and after every one I'm disappointed. I feel like each race should have a better time than the last. I'm not sure what went wrong today - whether the rain hindered me, or because I was sick on Thursday, I wasn't 100% (Although, UFC fighter Matt Hughes says you never fight at 100%, so why should I expect to ever race at 100%?).

My husband says I have high expectations for myself when it comes to racing. While that's not necessarily bad, I have to be more realistic, and not beat myself up for days after every race, thinking, "I could have run faster. Why didn't I push harder?"

All in all, I really enjoyed this race. I'll do it again next year, God willing. I came home and registered myself for a 10 mile race and the half marathon I've been looking at. I'm excited and intimidated by both races.

Also, 10k races apparently give me the rhea. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Nevermind your incredible cheering section... WITH a cowbell! I am sad and sorry that I did not run this one with you... I am SO excited about the next two races... no expectations... new distances! :) LYLASAS♥