Saturday, January 3, 2009

Your body called: it wants its endurance back.


I started running in November 2007. By October of 2008, I was running between 5-6 miles, 3-5 times a week. Michigan winters are not friendly to runners, though there are some freaks that still do it. My favorite is the guy we see on the way to church on Wednesday evenings. Not only is he running in the winter, but he's also flailing his arms about and bringing his knees up so far I think it might give John Stanton a heart attack. Anyway, I always watch that guy run, and almost always say something like, "his form is all wrong..." You know, it's my attempt to prove I know something about something, because I don't know much about anything. Truth is, that guy should be applauded. Such dedication to be out running in all kinds of weather. Inside, I feel a commeradery with him.

At any rate, I am not one to run outside in the snow. Knowing me, I'd slip on ice, smash my face and also get frostbite. No, I made the decision to purchase a treadmill, as my last one died last May.

Because of the winter, I haven't run since the end of October/beginning of November. My weight has been slowly creeping back up, and my cardio has flown south.

Today, my first time on the new treadmill, I only ran 3.2 miles, and it took me 43 minutes to do so. When I say "ran" I actually mean: run for .25 miles, walk for 2 minutes, repeat for 43 minutes. I couldn't even run a whole mile without a walk break. Harumph! By the end, I felt like my heart was going to come up my throat, jump on the treadmill and hit the "STOP" button!

It's weird how easily one loses cardio, and likewise, how easily you can increase it. It's all about consistency, which I lack!

I think that's my most important resolution this year: to be more consistent. In all things. Eating, exercising, cleaning, reading my Bible, praying for others... and the list goes on.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm with you on the consistency goal! I have one of those Bowflex TreadClimbers, and I never even use it! Here's hoping we can both report 12 months from now that 2009 was a year of consistency for us!

Thelma said...

I was giggling so bad while reading this I actually managed to choke on my own saliva. At which point I attempted to remedy that by drinking water, which almost came up my nose! I love your writing!
Yay for the treadmill! And I think consistency is a GREAT resolution!