Monday, October 13, 2008

Running Ramblings

Why do I never feel like running? I get up in the morning, knowing my plan is to run before doing anything else, and then grumble to myself about how much it sucks.

Today was no different. I had a nice, quiet breakfast and settled down on my computer, seeing what's new with my friends.

My husband calls, and there's something wrong with his brakes. Isn't this magical? One of our cars has to go into the shop for about the 8th time in six months. Fantastic! So, I have to go pick him up at work. I have a couple of hours, so I decide I'll run before hand. Blah. Get it over with, so I don't come up with excuses later on.

I added just over a mile to my run today! Whew! It took me a while, but I ran 4.2 miles, up from 3 miles last week. I plotted my course this weekend, for when I was ready to add more distance, and it went by fast. Maybe my breakfast is to thank for the great run? Maybe the fact that I slept in and was well rested? I don't know what it was, but I felt like I was running on air! Oh, maybe it was my Saucony sneakers. They always help.

I am self conscious. Part of why I don't like running outside is that I'm afraid people will say things to me, or make fun of how slow I'm going! It hasn't happened until today.

At one corner, I heard someone in his pick up truck say, "something-something, baby!!" which I can only assume was "Your percentage of body fat is less than my three month old baby!" I can't imagine what else he could have said!

I like to take note of how many McCain/Palin signs I see and how many Obama signs I see (sadly, Biden doesn't seen to be on any of these signs! I wonder if that fills him with rage?). When happily observing many more McCain/Palin signs than Obama signs, I see that in front of one of them sits two elderly men. One yells, "COME ON! RUN FASTER!!" To which I reply, "I CAN'T!!!" Sigh. I should have said, "Come out here and run with me!!" You know he would have been that 65 year old man that has run 50 marathons in his lifetime though...

4 comments:

Liz said...

I'm proud of you for getting out there! :)

Annie Shaw said...

LOL---Your musings are hilarious! Run Dawn Run. I love the old man. What is his name??? :P Or what SHOULD his name be?

Thelma said...

Laughing so hard!!!

You've been tagged!
Check out my blog for details!

Dawn said...

Annie, I think his name should be: Mr. Grumpy Pants That at Least Knows How to Vote.

:P