Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nanaimo Bars



Canadians enjoy a delicious dessert called Nanaimo Bars. I usually make these twice a year. Once for Christmas, and another time, just because. They freeze well, and must be served chilled.

My grandmother and I shared a love of all things sweet. This is her recipe for Nanaimo Bars.

Base:
Melt 4 squares of semi-sweet chocolate in microwave (ok, they didn't have microwaves in her day, but this has been adapted for people who can't be bothered to use a double boiler, like moi).

Combine with 1 cup softened butter and 4 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 eggs (I use Egg Beaters - you will not cook the eggs, and Egg Beaters are pasteurized = safe). Mix well.

Add 4 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 2 cups coconut, 1 cup chopped walnuts. Press into 9x12 pan. Chill.

Filling:
Combine 4 tbsp custard powder with 6 tbsp milk. Add to 1/2 cup butter, beat in 4 cups icing (powedered) sugar until smooth. Spread over base. Chill for 15 minutes.

Glaze:
Melt 8 squares of chocolate with 2 tbsp butter in microwave. Spread over custard. Chill. (I use from 12-16 squares of chocolate, and chill overnight.)

Super calorie-filled, fatty, sugary, and delicious!

6 comments:

Meridith said...

Ok, I think I just gained 15 lbs just looking at the pic and reading the recipe.... sounds FANTASTIC!! I may have to try those.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Dawn said...

I usually gain a good few pounds when I make them! Of course it doesn't help that I eat the majority of the pan!!

Kelly said...

My goodness those sound awesome. It's a neat memory that you have with your grandmother. When I think of my grandmother, I think of Hostess Ding Dongs (she wasn't much of a baker)

Carley said...

Oh My those sound super yummy and they look even yummier!! I may need to make these someday!

Tina @ Girl Meets Globe said...

Those look SO yummy!!

Bette said...

Wow, these look great. If you can find Davidson's Safest Choice eggs, they are great. They have been pasteurized in the shell, are safe to eat undercooked (even raw) and taste great.

If you go to the Web site, you can get info and coupons www.safeeggs.com.