Monday, October 6, 2008

Running on Independence

I am on a quest to eat healthier, and just plain be healthier.

I began running last year, around the beginning of November. I struggle a lot with consistency, which is why, after nearly a year, I can only run about 3 miles at a time. I made it to 5 miles for a while, but again, that darn consistency problem showed up.

I can't say I love running, but I'd love to be a runner. Like the New Balance commercials say, I have a love/hate relationship with running, struggling to make that love a little bit bigger than the hate. I love the way I feel after a run. I love the way I feel the day after a run. I don't like people watching me when I run, however. And it sure ain't easy.

I didn't feel like running today, and I had a bunch of reasons not to. I spent a lot of the day painting, and I still needed to get groceries. After some convincing from my good friend, Thelma, I decided I could put off shopping for another hour or so to make myself a little bit healthier. So I got my official running gear on, and ran down Independence Drive.

And you know what? It felt great.

3 comments:

Thelma said...

Independence Drive... awesome! And I'm sure there were people who saw you who thought, "Look at her... I wish I was a runner!"

You go, girl! (I can only pull that off in writing. I sound ridiculous when I say that out loud!)

Meridith said...

Way to go!!! So proud for you!!

Independence Drive.... so much symbolism there... can give you lots to think about as you pound the pavement!! :)

Scotti said...

You're far more motivated than me! I can't get myself motivated to walk...much less try to run!